VOGUE

 






The conversion was quite easy this time around.  I've done a lot of work with the Royal P in the past, and this one seemed like a simple matter of just switching the bars, though as I discovered later that wasn't the case.


The above photo shows the parts machine.  A 1931 Royal P with the crinkle duotone green finish.  I have only ever seen one of those machines in that finish before, owned by Scott Connors of Stephentown Typewriter.  That too was coincidentally Vogue.  Something about that finish just bothers me, so I took out my red Model P and decided to swap the bars in.  Well, let's back up a little bit.  I had decided to swap into my red one a long time ago, provided I didn't come across a machine I really liked.  



It started off pretty easy.  I cleaned up all the type bars and started the swap using a spare segment bearing to allow me to change one type bar at a time without any others falling out.  I also got a good look at the first feed rollers I ever made, they weren't all that bad.  So, technically it now has all new rubber if you include the new platen I just put on it as well as the lovely set of feet made by the incredible Steve Dade.

Unfortunately, the keys were a bit on the stiff side which is when I realized the difference in slot size on the segments.  

This is the new one, note how it is flat across the top on either end


Cleaned the new one (left) compared to the old one (right)
which has threaded inserts on either side to attach the triangular type guide
dust masks.

Old one out

New one in

Once the segment was swapped, the type went in super easy.  The only further issue was making all the minor adjustments to accommodate marginal changes in tolerance.  Mainly just needed to lengthen the backspace linkages just slightly to allow for more play when shifting, as the new segment changed the resting position of a few linkages.  All in all, it worked out great and even my shift remained in alignment.


These slugs are actually copper as opposed to hardened steel.  Cheaper production
costs for a lower volume!  (Since Vogue was made to order)






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the Cyberdeck

The “Charming?” Yet awful Typecast Typewriter (updated)

A Comprehensive History of the Royal Model P