1915 Typo Typewriter


Typo is a very ironic name for a typewriter.  This machine is actually the Imperial Model B, branded Typo and produced in France.  This particular model features the early top plate embezzled with the word "typo", as well as a French keyboard.  If you have been keeping up with the typewriter world, you may be interested to note that this typewriter came from the famous Russo collection which has been sold off by Breker Auction house in Germany.  I purchased this machine just before the shipping services closed down due to COVID in April.  Mid July is when I received it in Chicago.  Aside from a dry ribbon and flat feed rollers, this machine is basically mint.  




From my conversation with Mark Albrecht, there are only 30 or so Typos known to exist, and some additional ones which he expects to be undocumented.  The Typo was produced alongside the Imperial Model B starting in 1915, and features dual shift and figure keys on either side of the keyboard.  The curved keyboard strikes keys down from the front of the machine, similar to the Bar lock typewriters.  This is currently the only downstroke machine I have, though the most famous is undoubtedly the Oliver.  It features variable line spacing on the left for single, double, and triple, as well as a double carriage release and a right hand paper release.  The margins are adjusted on either side by set increments, and double as the paper fingers.  

One of the more interesting things I noticed were the vertically mounted ribbon spools on either side.  These are held in by a spring loaded latch that moves up and swings out to release the spool.  The spools themselves are internally notched to mesh with the ribbon advance system.  I replaced the ribbon with a solid black nylon half inch, but the machine does take a two color using the slider underneath the keyboard.  I chose black purely for aesthetic purposes.



new ribbon winding 

Aside from the ribbon, I also had to redo the front feed rollers.  Getting them out is decently easy.  There is a bolted bracket on either side of the carriage.  I undid the right end and pulled the metal bracket off completely, including the spring tension one underneath.  The entire feed roller rod can then be pulled to the right and out of the left bracket entirely.  With the carriage to the extreme right, you can then swing the rod out and remove the rubber.  The old rubber shaved off quite easily, and allowed me to cut and place the new stock on.



new rubber

Once that was out, I did a few type tests and adjusted the shift stoppers for alignment.  This is done easily with a small wrench to undo the lock nut, and a needle threaded through the hole in the pin.  This procedure has to be mirrored on either side.


it types!

Once I was done, I polished it up a little more and that was it!  One of the best condition machines I have ever had.  Normally they need multiple hours worth of work.







Comments

  1. Sweet. I used to have one of these; I sold it to a Japanese collector, and packed it very well for its transpacific trip, but sadly, it broke anyway.

    I think you mean embossed, not embezzled.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the Cyberdeck

The “Charming?” Yet awful Typecast Typewriter (updated)

A Comprehensive History of the Royal Model P