The Blog


In-Mechanica-Antiqua-Typewriters-Lucas-Dul
A blog by a typewriter repair tech, for typewriter people.
Embracing Analog.


Is it time to update the introduction to this blog?  I think so.  I want you to close your eyes and imagine a massive library, vast and expansive in the knowledge it covers.  Please note that I don't actually want you to close your eyes, because then you wouldn't be able to read this.  Just close your mind's eye...your...pineal gland?  Anyway, imagine that big beautiful library has a catch.  Not a single dot of information in all those volumes has any practical use.  Now I also want you to imagine that most of the shelves are dry-rotted and the books appear in huge heaps all over the place without the slightest, faintest illusion of order.  As if it were ground zero of the "nuke of knowledge," the hazy aftermath of a several literary-megaton violent enlightenment that created this monumental catastrophe.  

That library is me.  Well, no, I am not a physical library, I am in fact human (or so I've been lead to believe).  I have a bad habit of introducing myself in a manner that leads to blank stares and wonton confusion.   TL;DR I'm an ADHD Jack of All Trades.

If I were to explain to you my role in this blog, I'd tell you that I am a Typewriter Service Technician.  I fix, service, or otherwise make new old typewriters and place them in the hands of various creatively minded people (for a price of course, and that price is the cost).  Disclaimer: if it was melted down in the fires of Mount Doom in Middle Earth, it might be in need of a little more than basic maintenance and parts replacement.

I am also an artist.  I am an avid photographer, I love analog mediums.  I also used to teach various art classes like stained glass.  It was through those years that I honed my skills in the crystalline arts (glass, not meth).  I also draw, so thank you in advance for liking my logo(s).

I have always been deeply rooted in the physical world, the very same world that has been torn asunder in recent years.  We now have acquainted ourselves with the term "virtual reality," as if the reality we left behind was too terrifyingly disrupted to consider.  There is a merit in physicality, in what you can touch, and what you can create.  We are creatures of intense creative promise, yearning to use that power to solidify our impermanent position in eternity.  We live, breathe, and create in the real world, and that is why the so called digital revolution is sooner or later destined to fail.

I've been told a lot of things about myself, that I sound like Paul Simon, or that I allegedly made a deal with the devil.  I am not here to discount any of those.  I'm here to give you a tour of a vast library section by section.  I can't at all promise it'll be interesting, but interest is relative. 




Comments

  1. Hi Lucas, it's Lucas...and your blog sucks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lucas, it's Richard...and your blog doesn't suck!!! (But you mean Sholes & Glidden.) I've added you to the blogrolls on Welcome to the Typosphere and The Typewriter Revolution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for stopping by, and for correcting my mistake! It has been corrected :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Lucas: I left a comment on your TikTok account the other day about having an IBM Selectric II Typewriter for sale...it's in excellent shape and comes with lots of accessories. Would you be interested in buying it? If not, can you point me in the direction of some potential buyers? I'd be much obliged for any help you can provide.
    Best,
    Jeff Neuhauser
    jeffneuhauser30@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the Cyberdeck

The “Charming?” Yet awful Typecast Typewriter (updated)

A Comprehensive History of the Royal Model P