First time using C-41


Never developed C41 before, I’ll admit I was intimidated to begin with.  It’s actually quite straightforward.  So I’ll cut to the chase.  I purchased the Unicolor
C41 2-liter kit.  I gathered three liter containers and a gram scale, and cut all the powders in half.  Exactly in half.  I took hot water from the faucet, within 5 degrees of the target temperature and mixed everything up.  Things spilled, things got cold, things happen.  It’s okay, as soon as they’re mixed they’re on a highway to hell.  They won’t last long enough to be anal over.


After that, I loaded a roll of Ektar 100 and things got dicey.  I broke my UV filter and replaced it with a faint magenta 1a filter, I dropped the tank and exposed the finished roll, and I dumped chemicals everywhere.  Roll one was a bust.

 

 


   

Not to mention the fact that the developer was eating away my storage carton.  Okay, so I had a major disaster.  Several, actually.  I pulled together a roll of XP2 on my Nikon L35AF and shot it.  I took a pan of hot hot water and placed my beakers of 230ml Developer and Blix into it, with weights on the top.  Once they heated, I developed the XP2.

  


 

 

  

Fresh from this success, I loaded another roll of Ektar 100 into my Nikon F3 and shot it.  I spoiled it onto my stainless steel reel and clamped it shut.  After 20 minutes in hot water, the chemicals were right at 39 degrees Celsius, I figured a few degrees off wouldn’t matter.  Then I developed it.  This time it came out great.  Without a scanner on hand, I used a small lightbar and my iPad camera to photograph the negatives.  Then I edited out the orange backing cast and corrected the photos.  All in all I am pleased with the results.  

 


 


 


  

 
Raw negative 

Inverted 

Corrected


And here are some actual scans from an Epson V700 




 



Comments

  1. I do admire your "there's no point crying over split milk" attitude. Nice results too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the Cyberdeck

The “Charming?” Yet awful Typecast Typewriter (updated)

A Comprehensive History of the Royal Model P